The prizes granted by the BANCOawards are based on data ending in June and are awarded to the best hedge funds and funds of hedge funds over 1, 3, 5 and 10 years.
Funds belonging to the same categories are measured and compared according to a score based on 3 criterias over the periods considered:
- annual compound return
- largest drawdown
- time to recovery
The nominees in each category are the 5 funds that
- were ranked best among their peers,
- provided information with full transparency and have returned the requested information in due time
- and met all criteria of good faith and diligence set by the Jury of the BANCO Swiss Hedge Funds Awards.
NB: funds denominated in various currencies or classes are considered as one product, the fund achieving the best score being retained.
The jury is composed of at least 5 experts from various sectors in or around the alternative industry (funds selection, fund administration, advisory services, pension fund management, etc. ) chaired by a member of BANCO's editorial team. In case of a tie, the Chairman holds the deciding vote.
The documents examined by the jury are:
- the prospectus
- the latest audited annual report with the complete list of positions
- the 12 latest monthly factsheets
Funds whose promoters do not deliver all of the above mentionned documents will be disqualified.
Compliance with the deadlines, transparency and adequacy of the reporting, speed and quality of the answers are taken into account, especially in contentious cases (such as competing portfolios with comparable qualities).
Based on the available information and data, the jury deliberates during a one-day session to choose the best fund in each category, aiming to select those with the best prospects of maintaining their results.
The periods covered by the BANCOawards, The Swiss Hedge Funds Awards, run from:
- June 30, 2009, to June 30, 2019 for the 10 years awards
- June 30, 2015, to June 30, 2019 for the 5 years awards
- June 30, 2016, to June 30, 2019 for the 3 years awards
- June 30, 2018, to June 30, 2019 for the 1 year awards
Universe & Categories
The universe of the BANCOawards consists of all the portfolios (hedge funds or FoHF) available to institutional investors in Switzerland.
The funds are classified into categories according to type, strategies, styles and regions.
The categories must have at least 10 comparable funds to be considered over a given period.